Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I shave my legs in the toilet!


Hello my lovely familia!

This week was a tough week work wise, but I am seriously so gosh darn happy here in Peru.  Sometimes when we drive in the bus and they are blasting Spanish music and I can't move because I’m being smashed by a bazillion people and can’t feel my hands from holding onto the handles on the ceiling so hard, I just die laughing realizing that I am a missionary serving in a foreign country...and it’s just SO awesome.

We had a multi-zone conference with President Zobrist this week and it was wonderful. I love my mission president. He is hysterical and his accent is horrible so I feel a little better about my Spanish whenever I talk to him. Haha.  He talked to us about our calling as missionaries and it was amazing. I was sitting there in the front row writing (like a mad woman) all the revelation I was receiving. 

We didn’t have a baptism, but we taught about 60 lessons this week. My companion and I are on fire in this new area and I am loving it!

We had one investigator named Alex. Unfortunately they changed the boundaries of our area this week and he no longer is in our area. But I have to tell you about him because he was SO awesome. The only reason he didn’t get baptized with us was that he wasn’t married. Plus his wife-person didn’t want to get married. His mother-in-law is a member so we went to visit. The first time we talked with him he was super unresponsive but we decided to go back again anyway. The next lesson was a little better and at the end we gave him a Book of Mormon. When we came back 2 days later he was in 1 Nephi 8! It was sweet and we truly saw SUCH a change in him from when he started reading the Book of Mormon. We invited him to the baptism we had last week and he showed up 30 minutes early. Then he stayed after and helped the elders clean up. Then he was at church the next day for the confirmation. From that point on, he was SOLID: reading the Book of Mormon everyday. It was amazing. And honestly, up to this point in my mission, I haven’t felt the spirit work through me more strongly than it did when we taught him. When we told him the boundaries changed and we couldn’t visit, it was so sad. For the first time since I got out here, I cried while speaking in Spanish. It was awesome. I could hardly contain myself cause the spirit was so strong. Then my companion started crying and then HE started crying and I was just trying to bear my testimony without sounding like a complete FOOOL. But, it was okay because the spirit was there and that is really all that matters.  It is the most amazing feeling in the world when I have a thought come into my mind of what I should say in a lesson and I follow it, and see the results.  I seriously love the spirit. AH! 

Speaking of that, this was awesome. Yesterday we were teaching a girl named Janeth who is one of our investigators. She had a baptismal date for 31st of August but lately she hasn’t been meeting with us and totally avoiding us. We weren’t sure why. My companion is just the sweetest person ever, so she doesn’t really know how to be direct with people. BUT, thanks to the gift of tongues and a prompting that I should be direct with her, I had an idea come into my mind and followed it. I said to her, "Look Janeth, we are here as missionaries to teach you. If you have any questions or doubts, you need to ask us. More importantly than you being baptized, is you having a desire to be baptized and knowing WHY it’s important. We want to help you and know that this message can bless your life, but you need to do your part or we can’t help you." It was like a huge wave of the spirit and she said..."I want to learn more. Can you come back this week and answer my questions?" WHHHATTTUP! It was sweet! 

Anyway, things are going so well here for me. I am used to our bathroom now and I actually enjoy being able to use the toilet to my advantage…like when I shave my legs. It’s wonderful. Haha. I love Peru more and more everyday, and now that I can understand people I seriously love them all so much!

Good luck starting school this week. I always loved the first week because I felt like I was starting fresh. Enjoy seminary Summy-sum. I miss seminary so much. My junior year I had the best teacher EVER! Ha.

LOVE YOU and miss you ALL! 



Ps. ZONA STONE! Sweet huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment